qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu-s390x] [PULL SUBSYSTEM s390x 2/3] s390-bios: Skip

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu-s390x] [PULL SUBSYSTEM s390x 2/3] s390-bios: Skip bootmap signature entries
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 09:42:57 +0200

On Sat, 11 May 2019 08:15:21 +0200
Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10/05/2019 15.59, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> > Shall we cc stable this?
>
> I think I'd rather not do it unless someone really speaks up that they
> urgently need it. If we could use the binary from the master branch, I'd
> say go for it, but in this case we'd need to build a separate
> s390-ccw.img for this (without the DASD passthrough patches), and since
> the stable branch does not get that much testing attention from all the
> s390x developers, you'd end up with a firmware binary in the stable
> branch that is not very well tested... This does not sound very
> appealing to me.

FWIW, I have rebuilt the bios for the stable tree in the past, when a
bios patch had been picked. In this case, however, I would need to rely
on someone else to sanity-check the binary.

How likely are folks to run -stable QEMU with a bootmap containing
signatures? It would be one more QEMU version with toleration for this,
but I expect distros to pick up this one anyway?