qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] How to reduce network latency to improve netperf

From: Like Xu
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [QUESTION] How to reduce network latency to improve netperf TCP_RR drastically?
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 15:10:43 +0800

Hi Michael,

At https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/NetworkingTodo, there is an entry for network latency saying:

---
reduce networking latency:
 allow handling short packets from softirq or VCPU context
 Plan:
   We are going through the scheduler 3 times
   (could be up to 5 if softirqd is involved)
   Consider RX: host irq -> io thread -> VCPU thread ->
   guest irq -> guest thread.
   This adds a lot of latency.
   We can cut it by some 1.5x if we do a bit of work
   either in the VCPU or softirq context.
 Testing: netperf TCP RR - should be improved drastically
          netperf TCP STREAM guest to host - no regression
 Contact: MST
---

I am trying to make some contributions to improving netperf TCP_RR.
Could you please share more ideas or plans or implemental details to make it happen?

Thanks,
Like Xu