qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecation policy and build dependencies
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 15:42:39 -0500

On 6/5/19 3:13 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:

>> IOW, I don't think RHEL-7 support as a build platform blocks us from
>> dropping py2. We merely need to tweak our build platforms doc to clarify
>> our intent wrt add-on yum repos.
>
> If we clarify the docs in QEMU 4.1, is there anything that
> prevents us from removing Python 2 support in QEMU 4.1 too?

My take (but not definitive): if we have any CI setups that are testing
RHEL 7 without software collections and/or EPEL, then save Python 2
removal for 4.2 to give us time to update CI setups. But if all of our
CI setups are already fine, and we clarify the docs, then I'm all for
getting rid of Python 2 support in 4.1.

Similarly, if we are going to outlaw in-tree builds, let's get that done
in 4.1 instead of waiting yet another release.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226