qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] Python queue, 2019-06-07

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] Python queue, 2019-06-07
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 16:50:34 +0100

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 13:58, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi. This fails to build on one of my buildtest machines:
>
> ERROR: Cannot use 'python3', Python 2 >= 2.7 or Python 3 >= 3.5 is required.
>        Use --python=/path/to/python to specify a supported Python.
>
> The machine has python 2.7.6 and 3.4.3. (It's an Ubuntu trusty
> box; it's one of the gcc compile farm machines so upgrades to its
> OS are not really under my control.)

Rereading this, I realise that either the check or the error
message is wrong here. The machine has 2.7.6, which satisfies
"python 2 >= 2.7", so we should be OK to build. The bug
seems to be that we say "prefer python3 over plain python
on python2" early, but don't revisit that decision if the
python3 we found isn't actually good enough for us.

(I am also setting up to do builds on a different aarch64 box
which has a newer python3.)

thanks
-- PMM