qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Use Case for Qemu BT

From: Ari Sundholm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Use Case for Qemu BT
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 15:47:29 +0300

Hi!

On 7/8/19 4:46 AM, Sebastian Audet wrote:
So...this is not really a use-case per-say as it is actually a thing I
would like to do but can't at present...

Win 10 is lacking an ad2p sink and this means if I'm using it to play a
windows-only game and want to stream from e.g. my phone to my computer, I
can't (natively). Enter Linux, which mostly ignores most of the crazy crap
from MS... and VirtualBox which can see my bluetooth adapter, relay to the
audio outputs, problem solved (yay? - well I also had to modify a kernel
parameter and some config files, but it worked at least)!

So anyhow, the bluetooth stuff not working from qemu is a bit of a shame -
VBox is bad at virtualizing stuff I guess unless the OS explicitly says
"hey I support this!" and I was hoping to use a super-light-weight distro
to solve my problem, not the mega-behemoths such as Manjaro, Ubuntu,
Fedora...

I'm not familiar with the project, so I don't know, but it seems like this
shouldn't have changed very much, and probably should just work? The only
way I know bit-rot happens at the protocol layer is that a bunch of
developers made a bunch of changes they didn't have any business making, or
the original code wasn't written very well to begin with...

Anyhow, cheers. Hope to see BT live in Qemu again someday!

Can you elaborate on your desired setup a bit more? Are you intending to use a Linux guest on a Windows host to view gaming streams - or the other way around?

Anyway, how is your Bluetooth adapter connected to the host computer? It may be possible to pass-through the adapter to the guest OS, allowing it to use the adapter using its native drivers.

Best regards,
Ari Sundholm
address@hidden