qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 答复: migrate_set_speed has no effect if the guest is u

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 答复: migrate_set_speed has no effect if the guest is using hugepages.
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:34:00 +0100

* Lin Ma (address@hidden) wrote:

> [...]

OK, yeh the numbering is pretty arbitrary so it's not something I
normally think about like that.

> > > It was caused by commit 4c011c3 postcopy: Send whole huge pages
> > >
> > > I'm wondering that is it by design or is it a bug waiting for fix?
> >
> > This is the first report I've seen for it.  How did you conclude that
> > 4c011c3 caused it?  While I can see it might have some effect on the
> > bandwidth management, I'm surprised it has this much effect.
>
> While digging into the bandwidth issue, Git bisect shows that this commit was
> the first bad commit.

OK.

> > What size huge pages are you using - 2MB or 1GB?
>
> When I hit this issue I was using 1GB huge page size.
> I tested this issue with 2MB page size today On Gigabit LAN, Although the
> bandwidth control looks
> a little better than using 1GB, But not too much. Please refer to the below
> test result.

OK, I can certainly see why this might happen with 1GB huge pages; I
need to have a think about a fix.

> > I can imagine we might have a problem that since we only do the sleep
> > between
> > the hugepages, if we were using 1GB hugepages then we'd see <big chunk of
> > data>[sleep]<big chunk of data>[sleep] which isn't as smooth as it used to
> > be.
> >
> > Can you give me some more details of your test?
>
> Live migration bandwidth management testing with 2MB hugepage size:
> sles12sp4_i440fx is a qemu/kvm guest with 6GB memory size.
> Note: the throughput value is approximating value.
>
> Terminal 1:
> virsh migrate-setspeed sles12sp4_i440fx $bandwidth && virsh migrate --live
> sles12sp4_i440fx qemu+tcp://5810f/system
>
> Terminal 2:
> virsh qemu-monitor-command sles12sp4_i440fx --hmp "info migrate"
>
> bandwidth=5
> throughput: 160 mbps
>
> bandwidth=10
> throughput: 167 mbps
>
> bandwidth=15
> throughput: 168 mbps
>
> bandwidth=20
> throughput: 168 mbps
>
> bandwidth=21
> throughput: 336 mbps
>
> bandwidth=22
> throughput: 336 mbps
>
> bandwidth=25
> throughput: 335.87 mbps
>
> bandwidth=30
> throughput: 335 mbps
>
> bandwidth=35
> throughput: 335 mbps
>
> bandwidth=40
> throughput: 335 mbps
>
> bandwidth=45
> throughput: 504.00 mbps
>
> bandwidth=50
> throughput: 500.00 mbps
>
> bandwidth=55
> throughput: 500.00 mbps
>
> bandwidth=60
> throughput: 500.00 mbps
>
> bandwidth=65
> throughput: 650.00 mbps
>
> bandwidth=70
> throughput: 660.00 mbps

OK, so migrate-setspeed takes a bandwidth in MBytes/sec and I guess
you're throughput is in MBit/sec - so at the higher end it's about
right, and at the lower end it's way off.

Let me think about a fix for this.

What are you using to measure throughput?

Dave