qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2-devel] CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU+OVMF

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2-devel] CPU hotplug using SMM with QEMU+OVMF
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 16:19:33 -0600

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 22:15:15 +0200

> On 08/16/19 09:49, Yao, Jiewen wrote:

It depends.  For starters, the vfio mapping API does not allow
unmapping arbitrary sub-ranges of previous mappings.  So the hole you
want to punch would need to be independently mapped.  From there you
get into the issue of whether this range is a potential DMA target.  If
it is, then this is the path to data corruption.  We cannot interfere
with the operation of the device and we have little to no visibility of
active DMA targets.

If we're talking about RAM that is never a DMA target, perhaps e820
reserved memory, then we can make sure certainly MemoryRegions are
skipped when mapped by QEMU and would expect the guest to never map
them through a vIOMMU as well.  Maybe then it's a question of where
we're trying to provide security (it might be more difficult if QEMU
needs to sanitize vIOMMU mappings to actively prevent mapping
reserved areas).

Is there anything unique about the VM case here?  Bare metal SMM needs
to be concerned about protecting itself from I/O devices that operate
outside of the realm of SMM mode as well, right?  Is something "simple"
like an AddressSpace switch necessary here, such that an I/O device
always has a mapping to a safe guest RAM page while the vCPU
AddressSpace can switch to some protected page?  The IOMMU and vCPU
mappings don't need to be the same.  The vCPU is more under our control
than the assigned device.

FWIW, RMRRs are a VT-d specific mechanism to define an address range as
persistently, identity mapped for one or more devices.  IOW, the device
would always map that range.  I don't think that's what you're after
here.  RMRRs are also an abomination that I hope we never find a
requirement for in a VM.  Thanks,

Alex