qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] Docs patches

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] Docs patches
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 10:24:03 +0100

On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 04:34:33PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 14:45, Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The following changes since commit 500efcfcf0fe2e0dae1d25637a13435ce7b6e421:
> >
> >   Merge remote-tracking branch 'remotes/rth/tags/pull-or1k-20190904' into
> > staging (2019-09-05 09:33:01 +0100)
> >
> > are available in the Git repository at:
> >
> >   https://github.com/berrange/qemu tags/docs-pull-request
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 9f8efa74d3f1cb9ceeee957ee382c2b4feb2ae30:
> >
> >   docs: split the CODING_STYLE doc into distinct groups (2019-09-05
> > 14:41:00 +0100)

> > * Merges HACKING into CODING_STYLE
> > * Converts README and CODING_STYLE docs into RST syntax
> > * Documents use of auto cleanup functions

> > Daniel P. Berrangé (4):
> >   docs: convert README, CODING_STYLE and HACKING to RST syntax
> >   docs: merge HACKING.rst contents into CODING_STYLE.rst
> >   docs: document use of automatic cleanup functions in glib
> >   docs: split the CODING_STYLE doc into distinct groups
> >
> >  CODING_STYLE          | 216 --------------
> >  CODING_STYLE.rst      | 641 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >  HACKING               | 257 -----------------
> >  README => README.rst  |  47 ++--
> >  scripts/checkpatch.pl |   2 +-
>
> I'm going to apply this, but something I thought of looking at
> the diffstat: should some or all of this be in the docs/devel
> manual rather than free-floating rst files in the root directory?

The answer really hinges on whether moving CODING_STYLE into the
docs/devel directory will make it less obvious to users.

On a related point, with the prevelance of github/gitlab for
hosting, it has become fairly common to have a top level
CONTRIBUTING.md file, with guidance of key factors relating
to contributing - how to submit patches, code of conduct,
developer signoff, coding style, etc. This file doesn't
have to contain the actual content - often people just use
it as an index to link to all the individual topic docs:

  https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
  https://github.com/atom/atom/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
  https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
  https://github.com/creativecommons/.github/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

So we could just move CODING_STYLE into the docs/devel dir and link
to it from a CONTRIBUTING.md (well .rst) file.

Regards,
Daniel