qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] libvhost-user: implement VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_KI

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] libvhost-user: implement VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_KICK_CALL_MSGS
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:20:40 +0200

> Each feature is documented near the description of the functionality it
> enables, that can work for this.

Hmm, so you mean I should add a section on in-band notifications, and
document things there?

> I don't much like F_KICK_CALL_MSGS as
> not generic enough but it's not simulation as such:
> IN_BAND_NOTIFICATIONS?

Sure, sounds good to me, I guess I'm not good at naming things :)

> As for how to handle errors, that probably belongs near
> "Communication".
>
> Or maybe add a new "Error handling" section.

OK.

Btw, I tried this yesterday in libvhost-user, but if I just do
vu_panic() it just aborts that message handling and hangs, if I
forcefully close the FD then it ends up crashing later ...

I'm tempted to go with vu_panic() only for now as that seems to be the
normal way to handle unexpected protocol errors there, many such other
errors probably should also close the FD?

johannes