qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost, iova, and dirty page tracking

From: Jason Wang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost, iova, and dirty page tracking
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 09:05:12 +0800

On 2019/9/18 下午4:37, Tian, Kevin wrote:
From: Jason Wang [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:10 PM

Note that the HVA to GPA mapping is not an 1:1 mapping. One HVA
range
could be mapped to several GPA ranges.
This is fine. Currently vfio_dma maintains IOVA->HVA mapping.

btw under what condition HVA->GPA is not 1:1 mapping? I didn't realize it.

I don't remember the details e.g memory region alias? And neither kvm
nor kvm API does forbid this if my memory is correct.

I checked https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/devel/memory.html, which
provides an example of aliased layout. However, its aliasing is all
1:1, instead of N:1. From guest p.o.v every writable GPA implies an
unique location. Why would we hit the situation where multiple
write-able GPAs are mapped to the same HVA (i.e. same physical
memory location)?

I don't know, just want to say current API does not forbid this. So we probably need to take care it.

Is Qemu doing its own same-content memory
merging in GPA level, similar to KSM?

AFAIK, it doesn't.

Thanks

Thanks