qemu-devel

Re: Problems with MIPS Malta SSH tests in make check-acceptance

From: Cleber Rosa
Subject: Re: Problems with MIPS Malta SSH tests in make check-acceptance
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:56:32 -0400

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:14:58PM -0400, Cleber Rosa wrote:
> [...]
> > repeated runs.  Is there some way we can make the image download part
> > of "building" the tests rather than actually running the testsuite, so
> > that a) the test themselves go faster and b) we don't include the
> > download in the test timeout - obviously the download speed is hugely
> > dependent on factors that aren't really related to what we're testing
> > here.
> >

> On Avocado version 72.0 we attempted to minimize the isse by
> implementing a "vmimage" command.  So, if you expect to use Fedora 30
> aarch64 images, you could run before your tests:
>
>  $ avocado vmimage get --distro fedora --distro-version 30 --arch aarch64
>
> And to list the images on your cache:
>
>  $ avocado vmimage list
>
> Unfortunately, this test doesn't use the vmimage API.  Actually that
> is fine because not all test assets map nicely to the vmimage goal,
> and should keep using the more generic (and lower level) fetch_asset().
>
> We're now working on various "asset fetcher" improvements that should
> allow us to check/cache all assets before a test is executed.  Also,
> we're adding a mode in which the "fetch_asset()" API will default to
> cancel (aka SKIP) a test if the asset could not be downloaded.
>
> If you're interested in the card we're using to track that new feature:
>

> https://trello.com/c/T3SC1sZs/1521-implement-fetch-assets-command-line-parameter
>
> Another possibility that we've prototyped, and we'll be working on
> further, is to make a specific part of the "test" code execution
> (really a pre-test phase) to be executed without a timeout and even be
> tried a number of times before bailing out and skipping the test.
>
> > In the meantime, I tried hacking it by just increasing the timeout to
> > 10m.  That got several of the tests working for me, but one still
> > failed.  Specifically 'LinuxSSH.test_mips_malta32eb_kernel3_2_0' still
> > timed out for me, but now after booting the guest, rather than during
> > the image download.  Looking at the avocado log file I'm seeing a
> > bunch of soft lockup messages from the guest console, AFAICT.  So it
> > looks like we have a real bug here, which I suspect has been
> > overlooked precisely because the download problems mean this test
> > isn't reliable.
> >

> I've schedulled a 100 executions of `make check-acceptance` builds, with
> the linux_ssh_mips_malta.py tests having a 1500 seconds timeout.  The
> very first execution already brought interesting results:

>  (15/39)
> /home/cleber/src/qemu/tests/acceptance/linux_ssh_mips_malta.py:LinuxSSH.test_mips_malta32eb_kernel3_2_0:
>  PASS (198.38 s)
>  (16/39)
> /home/cleber/src/qemu/tests/acceptance/linux_ssh_mips_malta.py:LinuxSSH.test_mips_malta64el_kernel3_2_0:
>  FAIL: Failure message found in console: Oops (22.83 s)
>
> I'll let you know about my full results.  This should also serve as a
> starting point to a discussion about the reliability of other tests,

Out of the 100 executions on a ppc64le host, the results that contain
failures and errors:

15-/home/cleber/src/qemu/tests/acceptance/linux_ssh_mips_malta.py:LinuxSSH.test_mips_malta32eb_kernel3_2_0
  - PASS: 92
  - INTERRUPTED: 4
  - FAIL: 4
16-/home/cleber/src/qemu/tests/acceptance/linux_ssh_mips_malta.py:LinuxSSH.test_mips_malta64el_kernel3_2_0
  - PASS: 95
  - FAIL: 5

FAIL means that self.fail() was called, which means 'Oops' was found
in the console.  INTERRUPTED here means that the test timeout kicked
in, and I can back David's statements about soft lockups.

Let me know if anyone wants access to the full logs/results.

- Cleber.