qemu-devel

Re: Questions about the real mode in kvm/qemu

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Questions about the real mode in kvm/qemu
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 11:33:05 +0200

On 26/09/19 11:24, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 11:18 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> On 26/09/19 10:59, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>>> If you mean to ask if there is a way to let guest access use no
>>> paging at all, that is access host physical addresses directly, then
>>> indeed there is no way, since regular non 'unrestricted guest' mode
>>> required both protected mode and paging, and 'unrestricted guest'
>>> requires EPT. Academically speaking it is of course possible to
>>> create paging tables that are 1:1...
>>
>> Not so academically, it's exactly what KVM does.
> You mean KVM uses 1:1 EPT pages and no guest paging,
> to allow guest to access host physical address space?

No, it uses the usual HVA->GPA EPT pages and 1:1 GPA->GVA pages when EPT
is enabled and guest CR0.PG=0.  This lets KVM work around the CR0.PG=1
requirement when unrestricted guest mode.

Thinking more about it, I suppose that saves memory (the same EPT page
tables can now be used independent of guest CR0.PG), at the cost of
making TLB misses a little slower.

Thanks,

Paolo