qemu-devel

Re: Python 2 and test/vm/netbsd

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: Python 2 and test/vm/netbsd
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 19:05:41 -0300

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 07:41:24PM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 08:11:57AM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Anyone?
> > >
> > > I'm about to submit patches to remove Python 2 support, and this
> > > will break tests/vm/netbsd.
> > >
> > > I'm powerless to fix this issue, because the netbsd image is
> > > hosted at download.patchew.org.
> >
> > Gerd had a patch to convert the netbsd VM script to ad hoc image
> > creation, too:
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-05/msg04459.html
> >
> > But there was a regression with the serial port between QEMU v3.0 and
> > v4.x, so it was not included:
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-05/msg06784.html
>
> The URL above has this error:
>
>   con recv:  x: Exitqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj
>   con recv: To be able to use the network, we need answers to the
>   following:Network media type
>   con send: <enter>
>   con recv: : qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk Perform autoconfiguration?
>      >a: Yes b: Noqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
>   console: *** read timeout ***
>   console: waiting for: 'a: Yes'
>   console: line buffer:
>
>   con recv: qqqqqqqqqqqqqqj
>
> I believe that problem was solved in v4, because v4 was reading
> the serial output 1 byte at a time.
>
> The issue that caused the netbsd patch to be dropped was:
> https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/address@hidden/
>
> Possibly this is the same issue we saw at:
> https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/address@hidden/
>
> The test script must either close the console socket, or keep
> reading from it.  Otherwise, the QEMU VCPU threads might get
> stuck waiting for the chardev to be writeable.

It doesn't seem to be the same issue.  Even if the console socket is closed,
I'm seeing results similar to the ones reported by Peter (the "pkgin -y
install" step is unreasonably slow).

Running with V=1, I see packages being downloaded at reasonable speeds, but
there's a huge interval (of various minutes) between each package download.

--
Eduardo