qemu-devel

Re: RFC: New device for zero-copy VM memory access

From: geoff
Subject: Re: RFC: New device for zero-copy VM memory access
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 02:21:44 +1100

On 2019-11-01 01:52, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 14:26, <address@hidden> wrote:
As the author of Looking Glass, I also have to consider the maintenance and the complexity of implementing the vhost protocol into the project. At this time a complete Porthole client can be implemented in 150 lines
of C without external dependencies, and most of that is boilerplate
socket code. This IMO is a major factor in deciding to avoid vhost-user.

This is essentially a proposal that we should make our project and
code more complicated so that your project and code can be simpler.
I hope you can see why this isn't necessarily an argument that will hold
very much weight for us :-)

Certainly, I do which is why I am still going to see about using vhost,
however, a device that uses vhost is likely more complex then the device
as it stands right now and as such more maintenance would be involved on
your end also. Or have I missed something in that vhost-user can be used
directly as a device?

thanks
-- PMM