qemu-devel

Re: Adding New, Unsupported ISA to Qemu

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Adding New, Unsupported ISA to Qemu
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 09:51:07 +0000

Hanson, Seth via <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>

> I'm looking for in-depth documentation pertaining to how an unsupported 16
> bit RISC ISA can be emulated in Qemu.
>

> I've referenced this:
>

> https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/TCG

I've updated the wiki page to include links to all the TCG documentation
that exists in the source tree. The will hopefully give you a bit more
of an overview of how things go together.

> and have been hoping there's additional, related documentation that I've
> overlooked.
>

> Please advise.

Generally for new targets the guidance is to do what the newer and more
actively maintained front-ends do. In short a new front-end should:

  * use the common translator_loop
  * should probably use decodetree to reduce boilerplate
  * for system emulation emulate a real life device
  * have someone willing to maintain it once merged

Ideally we like to include at least some basic smoke tests for the
platform (tests/tcg/multiarch/system) which will require a publicly
available toolchain which can be wrapped up in our docker build system.

--
Alex Bennée