qemu-devel

Re: QEMU for Qualcomm Hexagon - KVM Forum talk and code available

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: QEMU for Qualcomm Hexagon - KVM Forum talk and code available
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 10:12:09 +0100

Hi Alessandro and Niccolò,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:54 PM Taylor Simpson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I had discussions with several people at the KVM Forum, and I’ve been
> thinking about how to divide up the code for community review.  Here is my
> proposal for the steps.
>
> linux-user changes + linux-user/hexagon + skeleton of target/hexagon
> This is the minimum amount to build and run a very simple program.  I have an
> assembly program that prints “Hello” and exits.  It is constructed to use
> very few instructions that can be added brute force in the Hexagon back end.
> Add the code that is imported from the Hexagon simulator and the qemu helper
> generator
> This will allow the scalar ISA to be executed.  This will grow the set of
> programs that could execute, but there will still be limitations.  In
> particular, there can be no packets which means the C library won’t work .
> We have to build with -nostdlib
> Add support for packet semantics
> At this point, we will be able to execute full programs linked with the C
> library.  This will include the check-tcg tests.
> Add support for the wide vector extensions
> Add the helper overrides for performance optimization
> Some of these will be written by hand, and we’ll work with rev.ng to
> integrate their flex/bison generator.

Few years ago Luc Michel added the TMS320C6x.
The original git repository is down, I saved a copy:
https://github.com/philmd/qemu/commit/44a32515d
Last time I checked I had it rebased on QEMU 2.8.

I wonder if rev.ng flex/bison generator as it would also work with
this architecture (obviously I mean with the VLIW 'backend' logic, not
the Hexagon 'frontend').

Regards,

Phil.