qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 0/4] POC: Generating realistic block errors

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/4] POC: Generating realistic block errors
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:12:55 +0100

Am 21.11.2019 um 11:30 hat Stefan Hajnoczi geschrieben:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 09:47:48AM -0600, Tony Asleson wrote:
> > >
> > > Good discussion point...
> > >
> > > In my opening use case for this POC I'm generically trying to create an
> > > unrecoverable media error for a specific sector.  For each of the
> > > different device types it's different on how that error is conveyed and
> > > the associated data in transfer.
> > >

> > I would like to get some additional clarification on this point.  Should
> > I be investing more time integrating my proposed functionality into
> > blkdebug or other?
> >
> > Sorry for the long response time, got sidetracked with other stuff.
>
> blkdebug can inject EIO when a specific LBA is accessed.  Is that
> enough for what you want to do?  Then you can reuse and maybe extend
> blkdebug.

And if we need something more device specific, maybe a common core can
be extracted that can be used by both blkdebug and the devices. All of
the logic of managing error injection rules and checking whether
something needs to be done at the current event should be common between
both.

Kevin