qemu-devel

Re: QEMU Licensing query

From: Michal Suchánek
Subject: Re: QEMU Licensing query
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 19:55:11 +0100

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 03:57:07PM +0530, karina filer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> [1]QEMU is used in Android Emulator and is licensed under [2]GPLv2.
>
> For one of our customer support we may have to modify QEMU.
>
>  I have below queries,
>
>   * Case 1: No modification in QEMU (QEMU delivered by Google)
>
> Is there any implications if we are not modifying and releasing QEMU
> externally, but we are sharing an Android image externally that runs on QEMU
>

>   * Case 2: Modification in QEMU (QEMU delivered by Google)
>
> What are the implications if we need to modify and release QEMU, considering
> that we will also have to release an Android image that will run on this
> QEMU.

First off, this is a question that you should ask your lawyer, not a
mailing list.

As far as GPL v2 obligations go you should provide the source to anybody
to whom you distribute binaries of a GPL v2 software.

The preferred way to provide the source is alongside the binary package.
However, if you use Google Play store this is not reasonable way of
distribution. I would suggest you provide a link in the application
description pointing to a website where users can download the sources.

Thanks

Michal