qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 00/10] R300 QEMU device V2

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/10] R300 QEMU device V2
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 15:54:23 +0000

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 04:13:18PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Cc'ing more.
>
> On 11/27/19 4:05 PM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 04:00:01PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> > > Hi Daniel, Aaron.

> > > We can not redistribute this BIOS.

> > > Daniel, I think there is no problem if Aaron contributes a model of the
> > > R300
> > > device to QEMU, right? This doesn't involve redistributing any BIOS.
> >
> > Having just the device impl doesn't cause any legal problems.
> >
> > It does become a slight usability issue, as any users need to go and find
> > the suitable BIOS in order to use the device. No downstream OS vendors are
> > going to be able to distribute this BIOS either
> >
> > I don't know if we have hit this problem before & if we have any
> > general policies about it ?
>
> This appears to me the same case as a user downloading a proprietary
> driver/firmware at some vendor website, accepting the EULA, then using the
> driver within a QEMU VM.
>
> No close source blob are redistributed, but users can still run them, and
> both party (the QEMU project, and the users) are legally correct, right? But
> IANAL.

Well in this case the user wouldn't be reading or accepting any EULA,
because this 3rd party site doesn't provide any such things with the
firmware it is re-distributing.

IOW, the only way the user can use this device is to download the
firmware from this 3rd site & ignore the lack of legal information
they provide about license/distribution rules.

Regards,
Daniel