qemu-devel

Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 16:39:09 +0100

Thomas Huth <address@hidden> writes:

> On 02/12/2019 13.56, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Maybe, but I think I agree with Daniel that 'contrib/' is
>>> probably not the right place for it if it's something that
>>> we care about supporting. 'contrib' to me is "bucket of stuff
>>> that we didn't really feel strongly we wanted to reject but
>>> which is probably random special-cases or other obscure
>>> stuff, don't bother looking in here and don't assume it's
>>> going to work either".
>>
>> Agree.
>>
>> We have source for several separate programs in the root directory
>> already: qemu-bridge-helper, qemu-edid, qemu-img, qemu-io, qemu-nbd,
>> qemu-keymap, qemu-seccomp, qemu-ga.  Just a .c file when that suffixes,
>> else a subdirectory, except for qemu-io, which is two .c files in the
>> root, plus include/qemu-io.h.  Putting virtiofsd/ there follows
>> qemu-ga's precedence.
>
> IMHO the root directory is still way too overcrowded. Maybe we should
> simply introduce a "tools" subdirectory?

Maybe.  In general, I prefer my source trees shallow.

We've sucked at keeping new files out of the root that don't belong
there.  Mending our ways going forward is just one half of the fix.  The
other half is cleaning up the mess we made.

The manual should be somewhere below docs/.

Several .[ch] should be in a suitable subdirectory.

    $ git-ls-files | grep -v / | grep '\.[ch]$'
    arch_init.c
    balloon.c
    block.c
    blockdev-nbd.c