qemu-devel

Re: QEMU VM crashes when enabling KVM

From: Wayne Li
Subject: Re: QEMU VM crashes when enabling KVM
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 10:40:44 -0600

Dear David Gibson,

I know you are under no obligation to respond, but if it's possible for you to find the time to respond to my question, I would be extremely grateful.  My team at Boeing has been stuck trying to get KVM working for our project for the last few months.  A good explanation of why this isn't possible would be absolutely critical.

-Thanks, Wayne Li

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 1:17 AM Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
On 12/12/19 02:59, Wayne Li wrote:
> We wrote a project that is created on top of the QEMU source code; it
> calls functions from the QEMU code.  I run the executable created by
> compiling that project/QEMU code.  Anyway, looking at the following
> documentation:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/powerpc/cpu_families.txt
>
> It looks like the PowerPC 7457 is Book3S and the PowerPC e6500 is
> BookE.  Is that why you think I require a Book3S KVM?  Exactly why do
> you feel this way?  Also would that mean my team would need to go and
> buy a board with a Book3S processor?

CCing the PPC maintainer.  There are aspects of BookE and Book3S that
are different and not really interchangeable in the privileged interface.

Paolo