qemu-devel

Re: Priority of -accel

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Priority of -accel
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 15:35:06 +0100

On 07/01/2020 15.27, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 03:20:40PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:

>>> Something like that sounds like the best solution to me, but I'd maybe
>>> rather not call it "best", since the definition of "best" might depend
>>> on your use-case (e.g. do you want to use a CPU close to the host or
>>> something different which might be better emulated by TCG?).
>>>
>>> What about "-accel any" or "-accel fastest" or something similar?
>>
>> 'any' is a russian roulette, you don't want it to return 'qtest' ;)
>
> We could make it return "qtest" only on April 1st ;-P

... or we finally dare to let QEMU chose the "best" accelerator by
default if no "-accel" option has been specified...

Thus if no "-accel" has been specified, then use kvm/haxm/whpv if
possible or TCG otherwise. And if "-accel" has been specified, then only
use that accelerator and don't allow a second "-accel" to be specified.

 Thomas