qemu-devel

Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 06:42:47 +0100

Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> writes:

>> * qemuMonitorJSONSetIOThread() uses it to control iothread's properties
>>   poll-max-ns, poll-grow, poll-shrink.  Their use with -object is
>>   documented (in qemu-options.hx), their use with qom-set is not.
>
> I'm happy to use a different interface.
>
> Writing a boilerplate "iothread-set-poll-params" QMP command in C would
> be a step backwards.

No argument.

> Maybe the QAPI code generator could map something like this:
>
>   { 'command': 'iothread-set-poll-params',
>     'data': {
>         'id': 'str',
>       '*max-ns': 'uint64',
>       '*grow': 'uint64',
>       '*shrink': 'uint64'
>     },
>     'map-to-qom-set': 'IOThread'
>   }
>
> And turn it into QOM accessors on the IOThread object.

I think a generic "set this configuration to that value" command is just
fine.  qom-set fails on several counts, though:

* Tolerable: qom-set is not actually generic, it applies only to QOM.

* qom-set lets you set tons of stuff that is not meant to be changed at
  run time.  If it breaks your guest, you get to keep the pieces.

* There is virtually no documentation on what can be set to what values,
  and their semantics.

In its current state, QOM is a user interface superfund site.