qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 000/111] virtiofs queue

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 000/111] virtiofs queue
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 15:44:52 +0000

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 15:31, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
<address@hidden> wrote:

> * Peter Maydell (address@hidden) wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 12:54, Dr. David Alan Gilbert (git)
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >  docs/tools/conf.py                        |   16 +
> > >  docs/tools/index.rst                      |   14 +
> > >  docs/tools/virtiofsd-security.rst         |  118 ++
> >
> > Do we really want a new top-level manual? This isn't
> > in the plan: https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Documentation
> >
> > What defines what goes in docs/tools rather than
> > docs/interop (like qemu-nbd and qemu-img do) ?
>
> In my v1 patchset this lived in tools/virtiofsd and I hadn't
> wired up the top level index, however discussion with Daniel
> we came up with docs/tools/virtiofsd. See:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-01/msg00793.html
>
> My suggestion is that more should move into tools and docs/tools
> since they're not really 'interop' - but I don't have a strong feeling
> as long as we can quickly come to an agreement.

I guess that's probably not unreasonable. It's going to clash
with the various docs patchsets already on list, though.
And it's a bit odd that the only doc file in docs/tools
doesn't seem to be documenting a tool (it's a more general
'security guide'; I think the case would be better if the
doc you were adding was the virtiofsd manpage, which doesn't
seem to exist yet). Our other "stuff between guest and host"
docs (including other vhost-user topics and the qemu-ga guest
agent docs) are all in interop/.

PS: you forgot to add the new docs/tools entry to
docs/index.html.in.

thanks
-- PMM