qemu-devel

Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:23:07 -0500

On 1/24/20 9:38 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Hi! :-)
>
> Well, not fighting for it to the death and I'm certainly not married to
> its exact syntax, but I use HMP all the time because it's convenient to
> use manually and QMP isn't.
>
> If you want to remove HMP, get us a decent QMP shell first. And ideally
> a way how to use it without manually configuring a QMP socket and
> starting up and connecting the shell to it with ten kilometers of
> command line options on both sides first. HMP is available by default,
> and so should its replacement be.

This is partly why I am asking about what a "qmp-shell" should look like
to be usable, so we can sunset HMP once and for all.

One idea for a qmp-shell is to implement some of the convenience syntax
in qmp-shell directly to give us some of the same shorthands, and that
logic lives in the shell now.

--js