qemu-devel

Re: python3 script header and rhel8

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: python3 script header and rhel8
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:58:43 +0100

On 1/28/20 4:44 PM, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
Hi all!

Hmm Qemu dropped support for python2, and anyway python2 is not supported now
at all.

Still, we have a lot of "#!/usr/bin/env python" headings in our scripts, which
is
unsupported by rhel8 by default. So, for example, because of such line in
tests/qemu-iotests/nbd-fault-injector.py, iotest 277 fails.

Of course, it's simple to set python in rhel8 to be python3... But should we fix
all the headings to be "#!/usr/bin/env python3"? Or what is the correct heading
for scripts in a new python3 world?

I'd go for a codebase wide cleanup for once, and use python3. That way we are ready for when Python4 goes out, we won't suffer the same pain. That also mean we'll have to explicitly support Python4.

Eventually add modify scripts/checkpatch.pl to refuse commits introducing unversioned python back.