qemu-devel

Re: [GSoC/Outreachy QEMU proposal] Extend support for ioctls in QEMU lin

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [GSoC/Outreachy QEMU proposal] Extend support for ioctls in QEMU linux-user mode
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 18:00:27 +0000

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 17:51, Aleksandar Markovic
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I am personally interested in both. However, learning about syscalls and
> implementation of support for them in QEMU would require more ramp-up time
> from student (as is the case for any new employee in a similar situation for
> that matter). In the worst case, the student would spend much more time on
> learning than on productive work. My impression is at it is better to leave
> the student focused on just one area - ioctl support.

I think they're about the same, really. The level of difficulty is more
in what the syscall or ioctl does and what its arguments are (ie does
QEMU have to do much mangling on the way past) rather than whether
it happens to be a syscall or an ioctl. Some syscalls are hard, but
some are trivial; same with ioctls.

thanks
-- PMM