qemu-devel

Re: request_alignment vs file size, how to fix crash?

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: request_alignment vs file size, how to fix crash?
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 14:30:17 +0300

30.01.2020 14:11, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 30.01.2020 um 11:40 hat Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy geschrieben:
29.01.2020 21:01, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
Hi!

I found a crash, which may be simply triggered for images unaligned to
request_alignment:

# ./qemu-io --image-opts -c 'write 0 512'
driver=blkdebug,align=4096,image.driver=null-co,image.size=512
qemu-io: block/io.c:1505: bdrv_aligned_pwritev: Assertion `end_sector <=
bs->total_sectors || child->perm & BLK_PERM_RESIZE' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

The problem is obvious: 512 is aligned to 4096 and becomes larger than file
size.

I faced it after rebasing our downstream branches to newer Rhel versions. Seems
that after some updates of alignment detection in file-posix.c, it started to
detect 4096 alignment in our build environment, and iotest 152 started to crash
(as it operates on file of 512 bytes).

My question is:

What is wrong? Should we restrict images to be aligned to request_alignment, or
allow unaligned operations at EOF, if file is unaligned itself?

The problem started with commit

commit a6b257a08e3d72219f03e461a52152672fec0612