qemu-devel

Re: Summary of Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applicati

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: Summary of Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 07:38:00 +0100

Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> = Ways to provide machine-friendly initial configuration =
>
> Two ways to provide machine-friendly initial configuration on par with
> QMP have been proposed:
>
> 1. Extend QMP
>
>    Machines use the CLI only to configure a QMP socket.  The remainder
>    of the CLI becomes human-only, with much relaxed compatibility rules.
>
> 2. QAPIfy the CLI
>
>    Provide a machine-friendly CLI based on QAPI and JSON.  The current
>    CLI becomes human-only, with much relaxed compatibility rules.
>
>    Aside: I looked into cleaning up the human-only CLI at the same time,
>    but the need to maintain compatibility until the transition to the
>    machine-friendly CLI is complete makes this hard.  It needs to be
>    cleaned up, though.  More on that below.

Forgot to write down: we're talking not just about qemu-system-FOO, but
any executable with a non-trivial command line for use by machines.
This includes qemu-img, future qemu-storage-daemon, possibly qemu-nbd
and more.  Of these, qemu-storage-daemon will have a QMP monitor.  The
others don't have one so far.

[...]