qemu-devel

Re: [PULL v3 02/11] hppa: Add support for LASI chip with i82596 NIC

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL v3 02/11] hppa: Add support for LASI chip with i82596 NIC
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 19:31:42 +0000

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 19:23, Helge Deller <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 17.02.20 18:56, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 23:20, Richard Henderson
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> From: Helge Deller <address@hidden>
> >>
> >> LASI is a built-in multi-I/O chip which supports serial, parallel,
> >> network (Intel i82596 Apricot), sound and other functionalities.
> >> LASI has been used in many HP PARISC machines.
> >> This patch adds the necessary parts to allow Linux and HP-UX to detect
> >> LASI and the network card.

> > So we could be reading off the end of the buffer.
> >
> > I don't know whether the buffer should be 4 bytes
> > larger to allow for the checksum, or if the len calculation
> > is wrong.
>
> I'm working on a bigger patch which will improve this driver.
> It still has some issues with the emulation in Linux and HP-UX.
> With the patch I will take try to fix those out-of-bounds
> accesses too.
> It will take some time though, until I will send the patch.

As this is a bug fix and in particular a fix for a buffer
overrun, I think it would be better if you could send a
patch that just fixes this. If you include it in a larger
general-improvements patch we'll probably just ask you to
split it out when we get to code-review of that patchset,
and doing it that way will mean we have the buggy code
in QEMU for longer.

thanks
-- PMM