qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 1/1] qxl: introduce hardware revision 5

From: Yuri Benditovich
Subject: Re: [PULL 1/1] qxl: introduce hardware revision 5
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 14:09:33 -0500 (EST)

From: "Laszlo Ersek" <address@hidden>
To: "Yuri Benditovich" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Gerd Hoffmann" <address@hidden>, address@hidden, "Eduardo Habkost" <address@hidden>, "Yan Vugenfirer" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:01:24 PM

On 03/05/20 08:57, Yuri Benditovich wrote:
> [...]

[...]

>> OVMF is built at current edk2 master: e63d54db9526.
>
>> In the Windows 10 guest, the installed driver has the following
>> properties (per Device Manager):
>
>> - driver date: 7/28/2015
>> - driver version: 22.33.46.473

> This is not what I would expect from any qxl driver for Win10
> What is the name of display adapter?

"Red Hat QXL controller"

> The driver provider is 'Red Hat'?

In the "Red Hat QXL controller Properties" dialog:

- on the General tab, Manufacturer is "Red Hat, Inc."

- on the Driver tab, both the "Driver Provider" and the "Digital Signer"
  fields are "Red Hat, Inc."

This driver comes from "qxlwddm-0.1-12" (buildID=449635), in Brew.

In retrospect it looks like this driver was meant for Windows 8 only,
but it happened to install under, and work OK for, Windows 10 too.

> Does your guest run with secure boot?

Yes, it does. (Double-checked it with "confirm-SecureBootUEFI" in
PowerShell.)

> I do not see such an effect with 'Sleep' with latest qemu master +
> OVMF + qxl + Win10, the sleep button does not disappear.

I'm happy to try other driver versions. Hopefully Windows 10 will
actually see them as upgrading the currently installed driver. (Or
should I uninstall first?)
This is the latest release
https://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/qxl-wddm-dod/qxl-wddm-dod-0.19/

Thanks!