qemu-devel

Re: vmx=on with -accel hax

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: vmx=on with -accel hax
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 12:18:47 -0400

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 06:32:07AM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Cc'ing people listed by "scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f target/i386/hax*".

Thanks!  get_maintainer.pl output here is a bit misleading.  We
have no maintainers listed for the hax accel.  CCing the original
authors, hoping they can help.

> Rui Prior <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dear qemu developers,
> >
> > I found a bug/limitation of qemu on windows (qemu-w64-setup-20200201.exe
> > from https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/ ) that makes qemu terminate
> > immediately with "VCPU shutdown request" (twice) if I try to use the
> > "vmx=on" CPU option while simultaneously using "-accel hax".  Without
> > "vmx=on", it works fine (but it prevents me from using nested
> > virtualization).
> >
> > I am using HAXM v7.5.6.

I don't see any CPUID handling in the hax accel code, so "vmx=on"
isn't even supposed to have any effect.  I don't think HAXM
supports nested virtualization, does it?

--
Eduardo