qemu-devel

Re: deprecation of in-tree builds

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: deprecation of in-tree builds
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:19:23 +0100

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 10:20, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 31 Mar 2020, at 10:48, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Serious question: why is automatic directly creation more convenient for
> > developers?
>
> For my use case it isn't, automatic creation will break my folder structure
> and I'll not be able to use the common source folder and multiple target
> build folders structure that I use now.

I think that's a setup that a lot of us use, and we don't plan to
change it. The proposed "automatic" directory creation would only
happen for people who run 'configure' and 'make' directly in the
source tree (which currently does an in-tree build) -- the behaviour
if they're run from some other (manually created) build directory
would remain as it is today.

thanks
-- PMM