qemu-devel

Re: Supported Build Platforms (Again) (Was Re: Supported Sphinx Versions

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: Supported Build Platforms (Again) (Was Re: Supported Sphinx Versions)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 08:02:01 +0200

John Snow <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/14/20 3:53 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> John Snow <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>>> Debian:
>>>     8/Jessie: We don't support this anymore AFAIUI.
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>> docs/system/build-platforms.rst:
>>
>>     For distributions with long-lifetime releases, the project will aim
>>     to support the most recent major version at all times.  Support for
>>     the previous major version will be dropped 2 years after the new
>>     major version is released, or when it reaches "end of life".
>>
>> Debian 8 reached end of life in 2018, one year after 9's release.
>>

> Debian 8 has "long-term support" until 2020-06-30. I only bring this
> point up because we still list "Debian" under the "long-lifetime
> releases" section, but are excluding the version of Debian that has
> "Long-term" in the name.
>
> Pedantic, yes.
>
> Is it worth clarifying that we treat Debian as a "long-lifetime" release
> distro, but we do not count their "long-term" support for purposes of
> calculating EOL?

LTS is a separate project under the Debian umbrella.  Our list of
distributions with long-lifetime releases says "Debian", not "Debian
LTS".  It does say "Ubuntu LTS".  Pedantic?  Yes.  Worth clarifying?
Probably.

Putting Debian under short-lifetime distributions would stretch "short"
to roughly three years.