qemu-devel

Re: Failing property setters + hardwired devices + -global = a bad day

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Failing property setters + hardwired devices + -global = a bad day
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 16:57:19 +0100

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 05:28:25PM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Is there any sane use for configuring backends via any of the default
> mechanisms?
>
> I'm aware of one, but it's outdated: -global isa-fdc.driveA=...  Use
> -device floppy instead.
>
> I'd love to deprecate -global wholesale, but we can't as long as we
> don't have better means to configure onboard devices.  Can we deprecate
> its use with backend properties at least?

Currently libvirt has code using the following

* Floppy

  -global isa-fdc.driveA=ID
  -global isa-fdc.driveB=ID
  -global isa-fdc.bootindexA=NN
  -global isa-fdc.bootindexB=NN

  Only used when the machine type is pc-q35-2.4 or earlier

* NVRAM

  -global spapr-nvram.reg=0xnnnn

* Video primary display adapter

  -global qxl-vga.ram_size=NN
  -global qxl-vga.vram_size=NN
  -global qxl-vga.vram64_size=NN
  -global qxl-vga.vgamem_mb=NN
  -global qxl-vga.max_outputs=NN
  -global VGA.vgamem_mb=MM
  -global vmware-svga.vgamem_mb=MM

  Only used for old qemu lacking -device support where we must use -vga
  instead

* PIT policy

   -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=XXX

* S3/S4

   -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s3=NNN
   -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s4=NNN
   -global ICH9-LPC.disable_s3=NNN
   -global ICH9-LPC.disable_s4=NNN

* PCI hole

   -global i440FX-pcihost.pci-hole64-size=NNN
   -global q35-pcihost.pci-hole64-size=NNN

* SMM TSeg

   -global mch.extended-tseg-mbytes=NNN

* pflash

   -global driver=cfi.pflash01,property=secure,value=on

  Used for EFI secure boot

I'm unclear which of these can be replaced with a different QEMU cli
option....

Regards,
Daniel