qemu-devel

Re: Qemu, VNC and non-US keymaps

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Qemu, VNC and non-US keymaps
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 16:24:32 +0200

Cc'ing more developers.

On 5/11/20 4:17 PM, B3r3n wrote:
Dear all,

I am struggling for days/weeks with Qemu and its VNC accesses...with non-US keymaps.

Let me summ the facts:
- I am using a french keyboard over a Ubuntu 18.04.
- I installed a simple Debian in a Qemu VM, configured with FR keyboard (AZERTY).
- I am launching the Qemu VM with the '-k fr' keymaping (original)
- I tested with Qemu 3.1.1, 4.2.0 & 5.0.0.

I fail to have the AltGr keys, critical to frenches (pipe, backslash, dash etc). checking with showkey, I see the keys arriving properly (29+56, 29+100, etc).

Considering it might be a debian issue as well, I updated the qemu/keymaps/fr file to have bar directly with the 6 key (normally bar is AltGr + 6). For an unknown reason, the '6' then no longer works (showkey shows nothing as well).

There might be something I miss, and the might also be some bug somewhere, or some missings. For example, maybe X11 must be installed, even it unused (VNC client connects to Qemu VNC port directly), or whatever.

Any help appreciated :-)

Thanks

Brgrds