qemu-devel

Re: ovmf / PCI passthrough impaired due to very limiting PCI64 aperture

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: ovmf / PCI passthrough impaired due to very limiting PCI64 aperture
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:25:56 +0200

On 06/17/20 08:40, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>> What if then we have OVMF relying in the physbits *iff*
>> "-host-phys-bits" is used
>
> How can the guest know?

Exactly!

> Adding "you can trust physbits" bits somewhere (as suggested by Eduardo)
> would work for sure, but would depend on a qemu update.
>
> Maybe a "don't trust physbits in case it is 40" heuristic works well
> enough in practice.

... for how many years? ;)

No heuristics please.

(I absolutely prefer X-PciMmio64Mb to guesswork. With X-PciMmio64Mb,
users at least know they have to be careful. I know they don't like
that, they just want a promise "it will work forever", but it's not
randomly called "experimental", we're not there just yet.)

Thank you,
Laszlo