qemu-devel

Re: [REPORT] [GSoC - TCG Continuous Benchmarking] [#2] Dissecting QEMU I

From: Ahmed Karaman
Subject: Re: [REPORT] [GSoC - TCG Continuous Benchmarking] [#2] Dissecting QEMU Into Three Main Parts
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 21:14:50 +0200

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:46 PM Lukáš Doktor <ldoktor@redhat.com> wrote:

> > However, we know that the results for hosts of different architectures
> > will be different - we expect that.
> >
> > 32-bit Intel host will also most likely produce significantly
> > different results than 64-bit Intel hosts. By the way, 64-bit targets
> > in QEMU linux-user mode are not supported on 32-bit hosts (although
> > nothing stops the user to start corresponding instances of QEMU on a
> > 32-bit host, but the results are unpredictable.
> >
> > Let's focus now on Intel 64-bit hosts only. Richard, can you perhaps
> > enlighten us on whether QEMU (from the point of view of TCG target)
> > behaves differently on different Intel 64-bit hosts, and to what
> > degree?
> >
> > I currently work remotely, but once I am be physically at my office I
> > will have a variety of hosts at the company, and would be happy to do
> > the comparison between them, wrt what you presented in Report 2.
> >
> > In conclusion, I think a basic description of your test bed is missing
> > in your reports. And, for final reports (which we call "nightly
> > reports") a detailed system description, as Mr Lukas outlined, is,
> > also in my opinion, necessary.
> >
> > Thanks, Mr. Lukas, for bringing this to our attention!
> >

> You're welcome. I'm more on the python side, but as far as I know different
> cpu models (provided their features are enabled) and especially architectures
> result in way different code-paths. Imagine an old processor without vector
> instructions compare to newer ones that can process multiple instructions at
> once.
>
> As for the reports, I don't think that at this point it would be necessary to
> focus on anything besides a single cpu model (x86_64 Intel) as there are
> already many variables. Later someone can follow-up with a cross-arch
> comparison, if necessary.
>
> Regards,
> Lukáš
>
> > Yours,
> > Aleksandar
> >

> >> Best regards,
> >> Ahmed Karaman

Thanks Mr. Lukáš and Aleksandar,
OK, now I see how important it is to have this information somewhere
on the reports page.

guide for setting up the testbed.
I will add a section to this report with the detailed hardware
information of the used system.
Thanks for bringing this into attention.

Best regards,
Ahmed Karaman