qemu-devel

qemu icount to run guest SMP code

From: Wu, Wentong
Subject: qemu icount to run guest SMP code
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:33:41 +0000

Hi,

We are trying to run guest SMP code with qemu icount mode, but based on my current understanding I don’t think we can do that, because with icount enabled, the multi cpus will be simulated in round-robin way(tcg kick vcpu timer, or current cpu exit in order to handle interrupt or the ending of the current execution translationblock) with the single vCPU thread, so qemu is not running guest code in parallel as real hardware does, if guest code has the assumption cores run in parallel it will cause unexpected behavior.

I’m fresh man to QEMU and not sure whether the understanding is correct or not, so appreciate any comment, thanks a lot!

BR.