qemu-devel

Re: cleanups with long-term benefits

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: cleanups with long-term benefits
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:47:18 +0200

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:25:30 +0200
Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/08/20 09:36, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> > There's also the longer term pain of having to work around git-blame
> > unable to see beyond the flag day.
>
> Do you really use "git blame" that much?  "git log -S" does more or less
> the same function (in a different way) and is not affected as much by
> large code movement and transformation patches.

I'm not sure the two of them really perform the same function.

FWIW, I like using git {blame|annotate} to find out when/why some code
areas were changed, and it's often not "when was this line introduced",
but "I see some commits changing this function, let's find out more
about them." And yes, I use that quite regularly.