qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 5/9] target/arm: introduce CPU feature dependency mechanism

From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: [RFC 5/9] target/arm: introduce CPU feature dependency mechanism
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 08:59:20 +0200

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 10:19:27AM +0800, Peng Liang wrote:
> On 8/13/2020 8:48 PM, Andrew Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:26:53PM +0800, Peng Liang wrote:
> >> Some CPU features are dependent on other CPU features.  For example,
> >> ID_AA64PFR0_EL1.FP field and ID_AA64PFR0_EL1.AdvSIMD must have the same
> >> value, which means FP and ADVSIMD are dependent on each other, FPHP and
> >> ADVSIMDHP are dependent on each other.
> >>
> >> This commit introduces a mechanism for CPU feature dependency in
> >> AArch64.  We build a directed graph from the CPU feature dependency
> >> relationship, each edge from->to means the `to` CPU feature is dependent
> >> on the `from` CPU feature.  And we will automatically enable/disable CPU
> >> feature according to the directed graph.
> >>
> >> For example, a, b, and c CPU features are in relationship a->b->c, which
> >> means c is dependent on b and b is dependent on a.  If c is enabled by
> >> user, then a and b is enabled automatically.  And if a is disabled by
> >> user, then b and c is disabled automatically.
> >
> > And what if a is mutually exclusive with b? I.e. a and b can both be
> > disabled, but only a or b may be enabled.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > drew
> >
> > .
> >

> Currently, a and b will be both enabled or disabled.  For example, a and b are
> in relationship a->b, which means b is dependent on a.  If -cpu
> host,a=off,b=on,
> then both a and b are enabled.  If -cpu host,b=on,a=off, then both a and b are
> disabled.  Maybe we should report an error to user in this scenario?

Right. There are more relationships between features than "depends on",
such as "only if not" or "only if value is". The last one points out
that just setting the minimum feature value may not be sufficient to
control all the features. Also, there could be relationships involving
more than two features, such as 'a iff b and c', or 'a iff b and !c'.

We really have to take each feature of each ID register one at a time to
make sure we handle them appropriately. Exposing them all like this
without any checks just pushes all the pain onto the user to figure
everything out, and if there's not even errors generated, then how will
the user know when they got something wrong until their guest breaks
in some mysterious way?

Thanks,
drew