qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32:35 +0200

On Donnerstag, 10. September 2020 09:37:10 CEST Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> I don't think we want to be adding more 3rd party deps as submodules, quite
> the opposite, we want to remove more submodules we currently have.
>
> Bundling every important dep we use as a submodule and providing build
> rules, means we're effectively re-inventing Homebrew / MacPorts and this is
> not a sane use of our time.

Well, that's actually the whole point of this thread: saving developers' time.
And I think the submodule solution is the most sane one.

Frankly if you compile FOSS software on Mac that asks you to "just" install
dependencies with Homebrew and co, it feels like you have 2 jobs: a software
developer, and a distribution maintainer. The difference to the submodule
though: a much larger amount of developers have to do that maintainer job
(manually resolving conflicts & crashes, rollbacks, etc.).

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck