qemu-devel

Re: Redefinition of typedefs (C11 feature)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Redefinition of typedefs (C11 feature)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 20:06:10 +0100

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 19:49, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering: do our supported build host platforms all include
> compilers that are new enough to let us redefine typedefs?
>
> The ability to redefine typedefs is a C11 feature which would be
> very useful for simplifying our QOM boilerplate code.  The
> feature is supported by GCC since 2011 (v4.6.0)[1], and by clang
> since 2012 (v3.1)[2].

In configure we mandate either GCC v4.8 or better, or
clang v3.4 or better, or XCode Clang v5.1 or better
(Apple uses a different version numbering setup to upstream).
So you should probably double-check that that xcode clang has
what you want, but it looks like we're good to go otherwise.

thanks
-- PMM