qemu-devel

Re: Re: questions regarding vsock

From: Stefano Garzarella
Subject: Re: Re: questions regarding vsock
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:49:03 +0200

Hi Robin,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:46 PM Robin Meinzer <robmeinzer11@gmx.de> wrote:
> I added Stefano Garzarella and qemu-devel as you asked. I wonder if
> you don't support SOCK_DGRAM but only SOCK_STREAM, why having code for
> it then? There are functions like vsock_dgram_connect and a proto_ops
> struct specifically for SOCK_DGRAM, but any attempt to create a socket
> for it ends with -ENODEV (transport_dgram is NULL, I guess it's on
> purpose because you don't support it as you said).

AF_VSOCK supports multiple transports. Some transports (e.g. vmci) implement
SOCK_DGRAM, this is the reason for the code in the vsock core.

virtio-vsock transport currently supports only SOCK_STREAM.
Some people were implementing SOCK_SEQPACKET, but no upstream patches has
been sent yet.

> Another thing, could you please tell me what I have to set in the
> kernel .config to have vsockets working out of the box, for now lsmod
> doesn't show me vmw_vsock_transport_common or vsock or vsock_host
> existence in the form of a autoloaded module at all.

In the guest the vsock modules are loaded when the virtio-vsock device
is discovered on the PCI bus.

In the host the vhost-vsock module (and other vsock modules) is automatically
loaded the first time that a process opens /dev/vhost-vsock.
For testing in the host, you can use the vsock_loopback module that
should be automatically loaded the first time that a process create an
AF_VSOCK socket.
Note: if other vsock modules (e.g. vhost-vsock) are already loaded, you
must load vsock_loopback by hand.

Stefano