qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 7/8] gitlab: create a build-deprecated target

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 7/8] gitlab: create a build-deprecated target
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 19:47:05 +0100

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 19:34, Richard Henderson
<richard.henderson@linaro.org> wrote:

> On 9/25/20 8:54 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 14:52, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org>
> > wrote:
> >> Should we stop building the ppc64abi32 target instead?
> >>
> >> From c609274b853 ("docs/system/deprecated: mark
> >> ppc64abi32-linux-user for deprecation"):
> >>
> >>  The ppc64abi32 architecture has a number of issues which regularly
> >>  trip up our CI testing and is suspected to be quite broken. For that
> >>  reason the maintainers strongly suspect no one actually uses it.
> >
> > It still builds fine and it also runs the 'ls' binary in
> > the linux-user-test collection (ie the 32-bit PPC binary).
>
> But signal handling is completely wrong

That is also true for sparc linux-user (RT signal frames
completely unimplemented)...

Anyway, my point was mostly that there is a class of programs
which do run OK on it, so we should continue to build and test
it to the level we do today until the deprecation period runs
out. It is not so badly broken as to be a candidate for dropping
immediately.

thanks
-- PMM