qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/13] 9p queue 2020-10-23

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/13] 9p queue 2020-10-23
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 15:04:03 +0000

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 02:52:16PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 at 14:31, Christian Schoenebeck
> <qemu_oss@crudebyte.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2020 15:15:19 CET Peter Maydell wrote:

> > > How large is "large" here ?
>
> > E.g. ~10 GiB which might be a problem for cloud based CI platforms.
>
> Yeah, 10GB is too big by an order of magnitude for anything in the
> standard "make check" set. It could go in an optional "I'm the 9p
> maintainer and I want to run a wider set of tests" target though.

I think as a rough rule of thumb, tests should not create files
that are larger than the size of the QEMU build dir, and if it is
creating non-trivially sized files, then they should be created in
the build dir, not /tmp.  This probably puts 1 GB as a upper bound
on size but bear in mind tests can run in parallel, so ideally biggest
file sizes should be more in the 100s of MB range

Regards,
Daniel