qemu-devel

Re: Documents not in sphinx toctree

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Documents not in sphinx toctree
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 17:04:34 +0000

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 16:36, Jens Freimann <jfreimann@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 04:19:00PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> >On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 16:14, Marc-André Lureau
> ><marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> By running sphinx over the docs/ directory (like readthedocs.org
> >> presumably does), it finds a couple of rst documents that are not
> >> referenced:
> >> - cpu-hotplug.rst
> >> - microvm.rst
> >> - pr-manager.rst
> >> - virtio-net-failover.rst
>
> Given the current structure of the content in
> https://qemu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/,
> would adding this as a new bullet in "QEMU System Emulation User’s
> Guide" be the right thing to do?

Adding which?

For cpu-hotplug.rst:
 I guess the system manual. The document has a bit of a
 "tutorial" feel which doesn't entirely fit the rest of the
 manuals.

For microvm.rst:
 docs/system/target-i386.rst should be split into
 documentation for each of the machine models separately
 (as a list of links to docs in docs/system/i386/, similar
 to the structure of target-arm.rst and docs/system/arm/).
 Then microvm.rst can go into docs/system/i386.

For pr-manager.rst:
 The parts that are documenting the qemu-pr-helper invocation
 should turn into a docs/tools/ manpage for it.
 The other parts should go in the system manual I guess.

For virtio-net-failover.rst:
 Should go under the "Network emulation" part of the system
 manual, I think.

thanks
-- PMM