qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v3] VFIO Migration

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [RFC v3] VFIO Migration
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 07:51:06 -0500

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:45:49PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > This won't work for devices: same device needs to work with
> > both upstream and Red Hat and migrate upstream-upstream and Red Hat-Red Hat
> > (though not upstream-Red Hat).
>
> That's fine, we can cope with that. It simply means whomever owns
> responsibility for maintaining the code has to be more careful about
> changes they make in their downstream.

When we are talking about device vendors, "has to be more careful"
equals broken code. We need to make things super easy
for vendors doing the right thing, like publishing the migration
format, including a standard place to publish it and a tool
that uses that info to make migration just work.

--
MST