qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v3] VFIO Migration

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [RFC v3] VFIO Migration
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 04:44:52 -0500

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 02:38:12PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 03:41:59PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Stefan Hajnoczi (stefanha@redhat.com) wrote:

> > > Yep. Thanks for noting this. I'll need to reorder things so it is clear.

> > > Yes, it's possible but cannot be expressed in the migration info JSON.
> > >
> > > We need to choose a level of expressiveness that will be useful enough
> > > without being complex. In the extreme the migration info would contain
> > > Turing complete validation expressions (e.g. JavaScript) so that any
> > > relationship can be expressed, but I doubt that complexity is needed.
> > > The other extreme is just booleans and (opaque) strings for maximum
> > > simplicity.
> > >
> > > If the syntax is not expressive enough then it's impossible to check
> > > migration compatibility without actually creating a new device instance
> > > on the destination. Daniel Berrange raised the requirement of checking
> > > migration compatibility without creating the device since this helps
> > > with selecting a migration destination.
> >
> > Right, but my worry isn't the JSON description, it's the set of 3
> > conditions above; they need to state that only some combinations need to
> > be valid.
>
> Yes, the proposed syntax is simply not expressive enough. The migration
> compatibility check will pass and then the destination will refuse to
> set up the device (before the device state is transferred).
>
> Any suggestions for a syntax without full-blown arithmetic and logic
> expressions?
>
> > > Any ideas for a better syntax?
> >
> > I'd be happy with a --param name=value   repeatedly, but also know that
> > some option parsers don't like that.
>
> Another wart, Sphinx considers repeated options an error so you cannot
> document options using rST option syntax. I remember having this problem
> when documenting virtiofsd's command-line options :).
>
> If something comes to mind please let me know. I'm not set on a
> particular syntax, but I'd like to choose the one that is both
> human-friendly and compatible with option parsers while avoiding
> namespace collisions with the device implementation's own options.
>
> Stefan

I think the simplest way is just to include and open-source tool
for figuring all this out together with qemu.
Any vendor interested in supporting migration with qemu
will then just submit a patch for that tool.

This will also help make sure this interface
is not just a way to bypass GPL, we can ask that the
supporting server is opensource.

And it will help us guide vendors towards supporting migration
correctly.

--
MST