qemu-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] Running one qtest test: how?

From: Alexander Bulekov
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Running one qtest test: how?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 22:03:00 -0500

On 201125 1539, Doug Evans wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I can run a subset of qtest tests with "make check-qtest-TARGET", but
> that's the limit of the granularity that I can find. Why would one want
> more granularity? When adding a test one wants the edit/test cycle as short
> as possible and needlessly running other tests is a pain.
>
> It'd be really nice to be able to specify one test via make check. I
> realize I can pass V=1 and get some help to dig further. And if I grep for
> my test in Makefile.mtest I can reduce the number of tests down to just the
> test binary I want (e.g., "make run-test-229" to run qtest-i386/qos-test,
> the 229 will vary tree to tree). I don't mind the 229, it's
> machine generated but it's easy to find and will be reasonably stable in
> one build (though ideally one could pass the test name to "make" instead of
> NNN). But I still want more granularity. What I really want is:
>
> $ make run-test-229 TEST_OPTS="-p /foo/bar"
>
> so that only test /foo/bar is run (see the output of qos-test --help).
> qos-test binaries can contain dozens of tests, I just want one of them.
>
> Am I missing something? What do others do when adding a test?

I usually build only what I need and run it manually:
make qemu-system-TARGET
make tests/qtest/qos-test
QEMU_PATH=./qemu-system-TARGET ./tests/qtest/qos-test -p /foo/bar
?
That cuts down on the edit/test cycle, but it probably would be nicer if
there were some way to select a specific test for "make check-qtest".
-Alex